Monday, November 17, 2008

Estrella

Alright people, this is an album review of Estrella's self-titled album released in December 2007.



At first I intended to give it a 2 out of 5. I wasn't happy with what I heard - shaky vocals, almost tuneless melodies, similar-sounding songs. I even fell asleep towards the end of the tracklist. I was close to dismissing it, until I gave it one more try (and made sure I had enough zzz the night before) and doi, magic happened.

I started to like the album. Now I LOVE it.

And now I'm hooked. Who can ever give the mesmerising Stay a pass? Or not relate to the lovesick lyrics in Ternyata? Once you've gotten to know the songs, it's sing-along time. And the lyrics are pretty easy to come off the tip of the tongue without much thinking. I can sing "My Morning" while memorising physics formulas! Maybe that's why I did so badly in the first place.

Just beware of the urge to throw away the CD after 2 plays. Play it 2 more times, and you'll find that the material here is not as bland as you initially thought. The thin, shaky vocals can throw you off too, but once you get over the fact that the lead singer might have snorted too much crack into her nostrils, it's all good from there.

PS: Right, I know I'll be thrown some flak for that crack thing I said, but really she sounds so... frail. Perhaps voice training would do some good.

No comments: