Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Music Buzz

I'm currently digging Bat for Lashes' hot new single, Daniel. It has a straightforward, uncomplicated melody heavily laced with synths, with distorted strings interjecting in between bridges and loads of echo effect on Natasha Khan's breathy, melancholic vocals. A clever cross between the styles of Kate Bush and Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Lovely.



Bat for Lashes is the pseudonym for Brighton-based musician, Natasha Khan, who also happens to look like a dark version of Lily Allen. Vocally, Khan is superior. On Youtube you see people dissing Lily Allen below Bat for Lashes' videos and I'm like, Come ON!!!!

I'm not biased. I love both Bat for Lashes and Lily Allen. You can't compare both. They're too, tooooooo, TOOOOOO different. One is this goth-inspired, dark, mysterious brand of music while the other is freewheeling, in-your-face, tongue-in-cheek, polished-to-perfection sweet sort of stuff.

And I especially love Lily Allen's new album, and even more so this cheeky song on that album, F*** You. I don't need to elaborate further. The infamous four-letter word can't be more saccharine sweet than this.

No comments: