Monday, April 6, 2009

HIGH part 3

This post should be read by EVERY IU DIRECTOR whose IU Day is coming up or any wannabe IU Directors, regardless from Leo or Interact. This is a first-hand account from THE IU DIRECTOR HERSELF, whose IU Day took place successfully (chewah...) on 4th April 2009, Saturday, 10 AM to 12.30 AM.

(Continued from previous post)

Where did I stop?

Committee Video was a huge crowd favourite. While the audience cheered for the committee, Herman and Khairul prepared for their performance behind the curtains. Curtains opened, and they did a showdown with their respective instruments - Herman on the bass, Khairul on his really-cool-guitar. The sound system sucked, so after awhile the crowd got kinda bored with the bass/guitar jam and started blablabla when suddenly Herman got started on Ain't No Sunshine. Then Khairul did the beatbox. The crowd screamed. Oh yeah. They went on to perform Superstition and Sleeping Child, the theme song of the IU Day.

Of course no one sang along. We're not like Assuntarians k...we don't force people to stand up and sing. Lu ingat apa? Negaraku ah?

Pizzas arrived, fresh and hot. Rachael said she could smell the aroma as she snapped her camera. How come I didn't smell anything? Shit, where was I?

MCs Nasirah and Vishal conducted the "symbolic gesture" thing - random people were picked from the crowd, and they were to pin blue ribbons at the countries the MCs called out on the world map.

I only figured out the idea on Friday after realising that the IU Day lacked elements that were related to the theme. I didn't want it to be a performance-only IU Day. I nak meaning, tau tak? We had so many ideas, including getting presidents to read lines from a children's book, tying up teddy bear in chains and imprisoning it and get people to "release" it from "child exploitation", releasing balloons into the air, etc. The bubbles and sweets part were figured out on Thursday.

I think the symbolic gesture went okay. I had to check the VIP room for the final time, to make sure everything was a-okay. I don't need Rotarian to screw me another round. Blueck...

THE FINAL PART: Extreme Rhythm Crew. No need to elaborate. They were FABULOUS.

Always count on Amelia, Yew Wing, Sharon and Shalini to give a kick-ass show. STUPENDOUS. MARVELOUS. AMAZING. Theirs was the only performance I got to watch completely. Finally I could like, you know, sit down?

Souvenir presentation. Rajah who told us earlier not to mention BB throughout our IU Day suddenly said he wanted to get a souvenir, cuz MAN, IT WAS F**KING CUTE. A baby bottle with dingdongs inside and a cute heart shape dangling from the top. Alah nanti y'all tengok gambar jelah.

When the MCs said the word "refreshments", BOOM. All the stress exploded. It was an instant relief. Every ounce of tension, panic, worry, doubt, fear, stress -EVERY NEGATIVE SHIT just evaporated. A BIG RELEASE. Like orgasm, you know? Theoretically lah...

I was on a HIGH. And that HIGH lasted all the way through 10 PM at night. I was stinky, smelly, sweaty, but I refused to get out of my IU Day t-shirt. It made me feel good.

It was a hard, tiring, challenging, stressful, nerve-wracking day, but the outcome was sweeter than anything I've ever tasted.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ahem ahem, we assuntarians want to make the crowd involved what we're doing k! =P see! they wont sing along unless you MAKE them!

Melissa said...

lol xP