Sunday, April 5, 2009

HIGH part 2

This post should be read by EVERY IU DIRECTOR whose IU Day is coming up or any wannabe IU Directors, regardless from Leo or Interact. This is a first-hand account from THE IU DIRECTOR HERSELF, whose IU Day took place successfully (chewah...) on 4th April 2009, Saturday, 10 AM to 12.30 AM.

(Continued from previous post)

So I was kinda upset a lot of people whom I cared about didn't get to come for my IU Day (ahem Melissa ahem...), my sister, my mom (Fareen's mom came for hers k!), my dad, my dog...right I forgot I didn't have a dog, Richmond, Hazim, FAREEN (I'm so killing her!!!) but hey, it's cool. Though their presence would have made the day even sweeter.

So anyway, at 7.45 AM, found out THE GODDAMN GRILLS WERE LOCKED. ALL THE GRILLS IN SAMAD WERE LOCKED. Means we could not access Interact Room on the second floor (aras tiga - 4 flights of stairs - 32 steps). Which means NO NACHOS, NO WATER TUMBLERS FOR CORDIALS, NO LUXURY DINING UTENSILS FOR VIPS, NO ICEBOX FOR ICE, NO MOP FOR CLEANING UP, NO TABLECLOTH.

AAAARRGHH!!!!!!!

I was like, NOOOOOO.... why 4.4.2009 so jahanam wan?!!! Double 4s...bad bad bad...

Ran around the school in my IRRESISTIBLY CUTE lollipop t-shirt, smelly and sweaty at just 8 AM, trying to find any teacher, gardener, the guard or just about anyone who had the DAMN GRILL KEYS.

Then another glitch was the projector. Called my mum frantically for an adaptor cuz the projector's plug was TOO FAT.

Wye Hong started pressing me about the cordials. Alaaaa mana si Azri tu?

Called him up. Scolded and shouted at him. (Sorry Azri!) It was already 9.20 AM, and he was still at home with his cordials. My blood boiled. IU Day was barely 40 minutes away. My speech was not done.

Rotarian came at 9.50 AM. Noticed that some Interactors were inappropriately dressed. Trouble ensued. Inappropriately-dressed Interactors, Karis and I had to stand in one line facing him, AND GOT SCREWED like captured soldiers on death row. Time: 10.20 AM.

So he lectured us for like 5 minutes, and told everyone to go home and get changed. Carmen got pissed and went back home in her three-quarter pants. Emergency plan came in: Get Chee Hoe to run to his house and bring all the decent pants he has for the unfortunate Interactors.

Chee Hoe refused. Show started at 10.30 AM. Rotarian had to disgrace our event by mentioning the dress code fiasco in his speech. Gave MY SPEECH , written by my mom at 3 AM and edited by me at 9.45 AM. Fumbled sikit uh... wasn't nervous though. All my nerves were too charged up to feel nervous.

Opening act. A fun, sweet 2-minute sketch put up by Hon Zhen, Jiunn Jie, Sarah, Satyan, Farqani. I knew I did not make a mistake when I chose Jane's upbeat piano piece for the accompaniment. (Jane, tell Sally I said thank you!!!)

Time for theme video. Okay, things were going to be okay.

No, it wasn't. My laptop refused to start. BUGGER. Vishal and Nasirah read the statistics I printed for them last night at 1 AM. Then they started yakking away while we tried to get Karis' laptop to start.

We proceeded to show committee video instead. Hit a SNAG. Karis' laptop was lagging like crap. It wasn't a video, it was more of a picture slideshow. STRESS.

Are the Debtors ready? Crowd was getting bored. STRESS. STRESS. STRESS.

Ready to go, Debtors? Vishal gave a thumbs up.

Stopped the video halfway. Curtains opened to reveal a three-piece band - The Debtors. They serenaded the crowd with Lifehouse's Blind and Jason Mraz's I'm Yours (a song I initially wanted them to cut because it was sung in ICCHS IU Day last Saturday). I'm Yours was a hit with the crowd, with Jason (not Mraz) doing his thing on his guitar. The song's original Hawaiian vibe was laced with a bluesy rock feel.

Time for Ryan and his beautiful piano. It was a beautitful piece from Twilight the movie. I think he played well. Did he play well? I'm dumb when it comes to instruments. But I was too busy running around, informing people about the changes in the agenda.

My laptop was working fine, so we switched back to showing the THEME VIDEO. The crowd was like huh? when the words "No purple dinosaur was harmed during the production of this video". It was a touching video, which took MONTHS to complete.

From this point onwards the event was relatively under control. The agenda was torn into bits as I moved everything around.Running around like mad to let everyone be in the know. Lynn Tan, the 12 AM emergency plan, the life-saver, hit the stage. I did not really watch her perfomance, still too busy readjusting the agenda and running around. Later watching the video taken of her, I couldn't stop laughing at her as she spontaneously bantai-ed all her moves on stage. A HUGE HUGE THANKS TO YOU LYNN!!!! So late (check: 8 hours) can also come up with good stuff!!

The unfortunate Interactors finally got some decent pants on and took their seats in the hall. (They were prohibited from entering with their three-quarter pants and jeans)

Urban Disaster took the stage. They were another last minute act - I requested them to perform just ONE WEEK BEFORE IU DAY, as I got more and more worried about the situation of our existing performers (true enough, two dance acts backed out last minute). They delivered an awesome performance, considering they only practiced for one day! I was kinda worried they'd hit their head while doing their breakdance moves though. The hall ceiling is so damn low.

Time for Committee Video. It was a HIT!!!! Hilarious, spot on, crazy, good comic timing. It was my first time seeing a crowd clapping at EVERY INDIVIDUAL DEPARTMENT in the video. Cuz seriously, who claps at videos until it finishes? It's the same thing as clapping in cinemas. Who does it? No one right? But this time, at Samad IU Day, people clapped man!!!!

WOOHOO!!!! Kudos to Wye Hong, Vishal and Karis for such fantastic work. I really really owe you guys a lot. And sorry for bullying you all for the past three months!

To be continued...

1 comment:

MeLi said...

damn! so i missed all the fun and more importantly seeing you getting stress and fidget around? hahahaha =P