Saturday, April 4, 2009

HIGH

This post should be read by EVERY IU DIRECTOR whose IU Day is coming up or any wannabe IU Directors, regardless from Leo or Interact. This is a first-hand account from THE IU DIRECTOR HERSELF, whose IU Day took place successfully (chewah...) on 4th April 2009, Saturday, 10 AM to 12.30 AM.

It's officially over. ICSAS IU DAY 2009 is finally goddamn over.

Yahoo!!!

Despite having a small crowd (around 100 ppl only), I was really satisfied with the turnout seeing the numerous circumstances we faced, most of them due to the very lucky date we chose: 4th April 2009.

1. Assunta Leo IR is held on the same day, same time.
2. It's Cheng Beng.
3. Rotarians have a Golden Child project going on.
4. BB has school.
5. Mr Kumaresan went to Taman Negara.
6. Pn Tan had family issues to deal with.
7. Pn Pengetua had a pengetua function.
8. Pn Hamizan was going back to Bukit Gantang to campaign.

Waliao.... so it was not surprising that one of the biggest worries I had as IU Day approached closer and closer was the turnout. Plus, my board does not have strong links to the other ICC schools, which practically made the situation worse. I was honestly expecting only 70 to 80 people. And hey! We've got more than 100!!! Modest lah...

What was the most challenging part of organising this IU Day? The part when TWO dance acts just suddenly PULLED OUT from the programme ONE DAY before IU Day. (Okaylah, one pulled out on Thursday, but STILL!). I swear I could have gotten a heart attack.

So I called up Lynn. And I called up Dahlia. Begged and pleaded like a beggar with no limbs lying on the streets of Thailand. I was so desperate beyond measure. I felt like crying. I screamed at my pillow. My breaths were pained and quivering. That was the most stressful moment in my life.

And at 12 AM, after countless phone calls (most of them not picked up), Lynn finally relented. Big sigh of relief. I was smiling again. At 12 AM, IU Day was just 10 hours away.

Then she fought with her mom. Situation got tense. Mom disallowed her from going ahead with the performance. @#$^&*#@@##!!!!!! STRESS. I said, I can talk to your mom. She said, I will make it worse.

I felt like killing someone, or something. I wanted to give up.

At 12.30 AM, I called Lynn one last time. She said, "Can you mix the song for me?"

HELL YEAH. I'D DO ANYTHING.

So we stayed up till 2 AM, downloading songs and putting them in Vegas Pro. Jolin Tsai, N' Sync, Chris Brown, Boa... All the clips blended into one upbeat, infectious dance tune. I told her, I suck at mixing songs. This is my first time mixing one.

My mum came up and started reprimanding me. It's 2.20 AM, go and sleep. You will faint tomorrow on stage if you don't rest enough. Lynn was on the phone, pointing out to me which part of the song that needed to be included in the dance track.

A friend on my left ear, frustrated and sleepy mum on my right ear, dance track on both ears. An aural treat indeed.

I told my mum, I have not done my speech. She scolded me some more, and proceeded to write one. Editing of the song almost done. I was energetic, excited, at 2.20 AM.

Packed all I needed for the BIG DAY and wrote a list of all the things I need to do as soon as I get to the hall. A loooooooooooong list. So many things yet to be done. STRESS. Thought about how things will turn out tomorrow, or rather 8 hours later at 10 AM.

Slept at 3 AM. Woke up at 6 AM. Felt like vomiting. My nerves were wreaking havoc with my stomach. Could not breathe properly - pained, quivering, constricted. Panic attack? I don't know. My nerves were killing me. Mom gave a different script for my speech. I read through it, and I just could not see myself standing up there in front of everyone, presenting a speech. I imagined myself vomiting at the rostrum. The Milo was making my stomach churn. I looked at the looooooooooooong list. STRESS AGAIN. LAGI NAK MUNTAH. Mom said, breathe, meditate, focus on your forehead and count to 10.

Na-uh mom. Not working.

Got to school. Was alone there in Dewan Bakti, one of the hottest halls on earth (literally). Mom fussed about the deco and table arrangements. I said, it'll all be taken care of when the Interactors come. She still went about arranging tables.

I love you mom. You're the best mom in the world.

Lord knows how many times she has made my blood boil everytime she started pressing about IU Day. If you think I am a bitch with all my stern-ness and deadline fetish, then you can't wait to meet my mom.

She went back, and I stayed in the hall with Karis, trying to work on the script.


Alamak damn tired lah...it's only 10.30 PM right now and I'm yawning away. I continue my story tomorrow lah.... Goodnight....

1 comment:

Melissa said...

hey congrats! its finally over huh? i'm still upset for not being able to attend! >.< no more stress for you! yay! =D